Athletics at CMHS is an important part of our broader mission to develop young men and women into people of great character. Outstanding coaches and programs help students develop discipline, place others before self and handle both joy and disappointments with grace and a generous spirit. In a real way, then, athletics is best understood as “co-curricular” with our overall program at CMHS.
Over 75% of CMHS students participate in at least one sport in any given year and some may participate in more. By fielding 28 different teams in 14 sports, we encourage and invite our students to live a commitment to the development of the spirit, mind and body. We ask three fundamental things from our student athletes:
*First, to be good students. Keeping one’s passion for athletics in balance with one’s commitment to studies is critical. For this reason, student-athletes are held to same high standard in the classroom as every other student in our school.
*Second, to be committed to the team and his or her teammates. Athletics demands a very large commitment of time and energy. Athletes are expected to make all practices and games, work hard, take constructive criticism from their coaches, and put the team before individual statistics or success.
*Third, to represent their school, their team, their family and themselves with dignity and class befitting a school that professes to put the gospel of Jesus Christ before all else.
Cardinal Mooney High School offers opportunities in the following sports:
Athletic Department Directory
- Bill Donivan - Athletic Director
- Stefan Gates - Head Boys Basketball
- Drew Lascari - Asst. Athletic Director / Head Football/Boys Weightlifting
- Chad Sutton- Head Volleyball
- Christi McDonald - Boys and Girls Cross Country
- Alice Smithers - Boys and Girls Swimming
- Ron Montressor - Girls Golf
- Jay Nash - Boys Golf
- Debbie Butor - Cheerleading
- Ken Stokes - Girls Basketball
- Sebastian Marin - Boys Soccer
- Graham Warne - Girls Soccer
- Greg Mulhollen - Baseball
- Patrick Pollifrone - Boys and Girls Track
- Derek Wagner - Boys Lacrosse
- Kelsey Minor - Girls Lacrosse
- Amy Lyons - Boys and Girls Tennis
The Cougar Sport Club
Why it matters…
The Athletic Department of Cardinal Mooney Catholic High School needs your help! Join the Cougar Sports Club! Meet new Mooney parents, make new friends that last a lifetime and support all the players. Meetings are held on select Mondays at 7 p.m. in the Media Center. All parents of Mooney athletes are encouraged to attend. Various sports topics will be discussed at each meeting. This is an excellent way for family members and friends to stay connected. Participation is open to anyone with an interest in Mooney Sports. Contact one of the board members below if you are interested in getting involved.
What have we done recently:
- $50,000 towards the weight room renovation project
- $3,500 towards a new ticket booth
- $1,500 towards a new camcorder
- $2,800 towards a sound system for the gymnasium
- $1,300 towards new chairs for the gymnasium
- $10,000 towards concession stand renovations
- $1,000 towards two murals: ticket booth and stadium wall
- $12,000 annually towards the equipment budget of the athletic program
- $200,000 for the replacement of the track and field facility, as well as drainage for the stadium field
- $11,000 for bleachers at the baseball field
- $14,000 towards the baseball dugouts and parking lot renovation
- $3,000 towards dugouts at the softball field
- $800 towards the spirit banner for cheerleading